Everyone wishes they had more hours in a day; however, no amount of wishful thinking will add additional numbers to the clock. But if you can learn the art of time management, you can maximize the time you do have.
And as someone new to time management, the first step is to track how you currently spend your time. … It’s important to be honest with yourself as you perform this time audit. Otherwise, you’re just cheating yourself.
Now that you have an idea of where your time goes, you are ready to start learning how to manage your time.
1) Eliminate superfluous tasks or time wasting activities such as binge watching Netflix shows. I’m not suggesting you cannot watch television, but keep TV viewing to a minimum.
2) Prioritize tasks and complete the biggest/complex ones first if possible.
3) Use whatever tools you have at your disposal: to-do-lists, planners, etc.
4) Schedule time limits whenever possible. If you’re reorganizing your closet, give yourself a deadline and don’t go over that limit.
5) Learn to say no when appropriate and necessary. If your friend wants to catch a movie and you have work to do, you need to be strong and decline that offer.
6) Whatever you’re doing give it your full attention. Listen to my words: there is no such thing as multitasking. When you attempt to perform several things at once, you don’t give anything your full attention.
7) Don’t be a perfectionist when good is sufficient. There is no such thing as perfection, so do your best work in the time you have and move on.
8) Plan ahead as much as possible. Don’t wait until you’re running late for work to begin crafting a schedule for the day.
9) When you have “spare” time use it to your advantage. Waiting rooms are the perfect place to catch up on e-mail, read a book, or create a to-do-list.
10) Once a week evaluate your time management and make any necessary adjustments to your schedule.
So … just follow the suggestions listed above and you will increase your time management skills. And if you have any questions or comments, please send us an e-mail: email@example.com